3.08.2009

Daylight savings rant

Last year I complained about daylight savings time here. And I've also cheered rumors Obama would do away with this relic here. And finally I've tried to make an argument for globalized time here. So as we spring forward this morning, I feel the time has come for more complaints.

As we approached this particular DST, I thought about how the government takes my money, gives it to insurance companies who refuse to pay for my medical needs, they regulate where I can smoke, what I can do to my body, in my own house... everything. But the one thing I hate them for regulating more than anything is time. TIME? How can you regulate time? It's like if they wanted to alter gravity or the laws of thermodynamics. If you want to regulate time you should establish global time and that's it!

It's as stupid as Illinois deciding that Pluto is still a planet. So Pluto is a planet once you cross the state line of Illinois but not after you leave? I live in a state where the government representatives can barely figure out how to keep the economy moving, so I really don't trust them to coordinate arbitrary recalibration of time.

Let's please do away with this pointless exercise once and for all.

2 comments:

nelson said...

I'm like DLS because fall-back is awesome. You're like, sweet, extra hour! But spring-forward is lame.

So I don't think Obama should get rid of DST, he should just get rid of spring-forward and make it all fall-backs.

Opponents of my plan say that Americans don't deserve two fall-backs a year, because they're lazy. But I think those people are wrong.

Anonymous said...

Your rants are brilliant & provocative. Obama reads this, so I am confident he will take action for next year.