2.27.2008

Pirate Cat Radio

One of my favorite things about Los Angeles when I first moved here was at the bottom of the FM dial. Pirate Cat Radio was a pirate radio station run by one guy who called himself Monkey Man. Monkey Man never really spoke on air, just identified himself in weird promos. He's broadcast music 24/7 from his garage and I loved it. Besides the romance of outlaw radio, the music he played was eclectic, obsessive and great. Sometimes he'd leave the house for hours and just have a six-disc changer on random. But even that selection of music was so fun I'd continue listening all night. It was one of those well known secrets that can make a big city feel cozy, and he won Best Radio Show from LA Weekly in 2002. Monkey Man moved away from Los Angeles so the station went dark, but there are rumors that he's moved back and should start broadcasting soon. I sincerely hope so, long live Pirate Cat.

No comments: