5.28.2008

Los Angeles Parking Bureau is (surprise) totally borked

The street I live on just became a permit only parking district, despite there being no parking shortage in Silverlake and three citizen hearings in which no one (except city bureaucrats) wanted to add parking restrictions. So I spent this morning at the idiotic Los Angeles Parking Bureau.

I tried my darndest to learn as much as possible before taking time off work to travel downtown and get a parking permit for my neighborhood. The fact that I had to do this in person instead of via phone, email, fax, mail or any other method was bad enough but when I arrived the comedy of errors was only just beginning.

Maybe my first clue should have been this page, giving directions to the parking bureau in which they misspell their own address. Or when I tried to follow these directions and realized they were incorrect. But what was so frustrating was the fact that this misleading info had me wasting my time, with no parking pass to show for it. The desk agents claimed that their printed rules stated things they clearly did not, either online or in the posted versions in the office. If you visit this circle of hell, be sure to bring cash (I had to use the liquor store's ATM down the street.) On and on it continued like this.

No wonder, these offices had ARMED security guards, they seem to be inviting conflict with this horrible, frustrating standard. Pretty much every other customer around me seemed to be yelling. The sad thing is I tried really hard, for days, to prepare for this. But their online info is so inaccurate it was impossible for me to do what I set out to accomplish. Gotta love the Netscape icon they chose for their address bar though. (For our readers not on on Social Security, Netscape was a popular web browser from the last century.)

No comments: