4.11.2008

Poly Poly Oxen Free

There has been a lot in the news lately about Polygamy, which I want to point out is very different from Polyamory. Ever since I took a Social Construction of Sexuality class back in college I've considered myself to be polyamorous. For those in the don't know, this basically is an alternative lifestyle to serial monogamy. In serial monogamy you can have attachments to as many people as you want as long as you break one off before moving to the next one. Where as poly is not so much. Sometimes this leads to big family of amorphous couples living in houses together raising children. But for me personally it's mostly just about letting go of the jealously of thinking that just because my partner is attracted to someone else they wont be attracted to me. I would never do anything with my partner's knowledge and consent (keystones of polyamory) but I just don't start with the same assumptions that monogamists do.

There was a fascinating Wired article about the polyamorous culture recently here. It talks about how the Internet has helped Polyamory find a name for itself and is helping launch the concept into mainstream consciousness. Fascinating stuff.

3 comments:

Sam said...

i want to wake up every morning, turn on my internet and learn something new about your sexuality. better than a cup of black coffee.

sue said...

I'm lucky enough to wake up every morning and learn something new about HLKV's sexuality. It's not as good as a cuppa black coffee.

Sam said...

why does my comment say sam? this is duncan. computers scare me.