4.11.2008

Party beyond Earth's gravity

I've long wanted to live near the shuttle launch pad and throw parties for shuttle launches. The idea was this: I'd be able to email all my friends around the world with the schedule for the next few month's launches, then if anyone wanted to make the trip anytime, they could rely on the fact that in my little beach house there would be a party to watch the rockets. People from different parts of my life could meet each other... I'd stay in touch with everyone... It'd be great.

This Saturday is "Yuri's Night." On April 12th, 1961, Yuri Gagarin became the first human being in space, orbiting around the Earth once during a 108-minute flight. Exactly twenty years later, on April 12th, 1981, the United States launched their first Space Shuttle into space.

So I looked online and the only Los Angeles Yuri's Night party I saw was at Cinespace in Hollywood which sounds kinda cheesy and not really what I'm into. I'd prefer to have a party where you could see the night sky, for one thing. Maybe I'll throw together a small get together at the last minute in my backyard. Although in all honesty, I'll probably end up just getting drunk by myself and yelling at the stars.

UPDATE: In looking on the map where the closest launch to me is, Vandenberg Airforce base is just north of the Wine Country! Wine and rockets, together at last! Although I'm not sure how we can be awake for the 4:47am launch time. Well, we have until June 15 to figure it out.

No comments: