3.30.2008

Nathan Zellner tells me about GOLIATH


Last night I finally got a chance to see the new feature film by the Zellner brothers, GOLIATH. It's a fantastic film, very much in their style and very unique. There was lots I liked about this film, and I can't wait to see what they do next. One thing I noticed in the film was that it has some cool music in it and I especially liked the opening song. I got a chance to ask Nathan Zellner where that came from and it had kind of an unusual origin.

When they were at SXSW last year, they had stumbled into this band called The Finches. They checked out their myspace page, etc and got even more interested when they found out that the finches had written a song inspired by the film MCCABE AND MRS MILLER. Nathan tells me this is a film him and his brother love so they then contacted the band and got them to help with that opening number.

I love this sort of cross disciplinary interaction that can happen at SXSW like this. It's one of my favorite things about that festival, it feels more like a European art celebration. Except instead of painting and sculpture being showcased along with film, its music and interactive work.

I also love that the Zellners are into MCCABE AND MRS MILLER, it's one of Altman's best films and a fav of mine too. Pictured above is Nathan Zellner at a fancy party in Dallas, eating a plate of apples.

No comments: