3.17.2008

Irony and the film 21


The film 21 opens this weekend and I haven't seen it yet so I'm hesitant to pass judgement. However... from what I've seen so far it looks like the classic example of a Hollywood picture watering down its source material. I read the book "Bringing Down the House" and really liked it. The book has a great smart focus on the mechanics of card counting and the characters seemed original and honest (it is non fiction.) Judging the film by its cover, it looks to be a cocky shiny throwaway film, like a million I've seen before. The casting of beautiful young white actors especially makes it seem this way. The irony here being that the book is a parable of greed, and losing site of your original goals. Then the filmmakers did exactly this when reaching out for the biggest most marketable audience possible, dumbing down the source material. If the filmmakers did read the book, they clearly didn't take much away from it.

No comments: