1.14.2008

Rogery Avary in fatal DUI crash



This is sad news indeed. Roger Avary is an incredibly fantastic writer and filmmaker. He was driving a car this weekend that crashed killing a man and severely injuring Avary's wife. I was very much influenced by PULP FICTION in High School and his follow up film Killing Zoe is a unique and relativly little seen gem. Recently he has worked with one of my other favorite writers Neil Gaiman to create BEOWULF which I haven't seen yet but sounds like a fascinating team-up. His most recent directing work was adapting the Bret Easton Ellis novel THE RULES OF ATTRACTION, which I thought was very faithful while imbuing it with his own distinctive flair. It's a provocative film and he had been rumored to follow that up with a film based on Ellis' novel Glamorama which I also love. Sadly I think this will not happen now.

Avary's own website which I was reading quite a bit back around the RULES OF ATTRACTION days, is now password protected. I wonder if this is in response to his arrest? If so it seems like a weird thing to make a priority, who locked the site, his assistant? And why not leave it open for people to leave condolences or notes of sympathy?

UPDATE: According to his Wikipedia page, Avary had closed off his website to the public way back in late 2005 "with no explanation or notice." I guess I just haven't noticed until now.

No comments: