2.19.2009

Creeping fear as WATCHMEN approaches


As early reviews come in, I'm still very much excited to see the film for myself. But yet I'm still very trepadatious. I think I've figured out why.

The worst thing about a bad WATCHMEN movie is that it will kill the desire of anyone to read the book, who haven't done so already. It's happened before with EVERY single other Moore adaptation. Good luck getting anyone to want to read V FOR VENDETTA, LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN or FROM HELL now. Unless they are comics nerds already they won't because they will associate them with these horrible adaptations and that's a shame.

It's a huge shame mostly because Moore is undoubtedly the medium's greatest living writer and arguably the greatest comic book writer of all time. He is an obvious choice to try and get people reading some truly monumental comic book stories and with every passing film adaptation, that has become harder and harder.

Admittedly I should of course hold judgement on WATCHMEN, the greatest and most high profile Moore adaptation ever, but if history is any lesson, the outlook is not bright.... At least it's not looking likely that this will help me convince my friend to pick up the book.

No comments: