10.19.2008

In-and-Out rumors and secrets

A popular celebration technique for restaurant anniversaries is to roll back the prices to their original pre-inflation prices. I think this is especially popular here in Los Angeles, where we are often lacking in historical perspective but have some lovely old restaurants. So the rumor going around town was that In-and-Out Burger was going to be rolling this priced back in honor of their upcoming 60th Anniversary. Well on a trip to my Sunday morning burger church today I found out this was NOT TRUE!


Outrageous. But I do love and admire a company that actively addresses the issues instead of ignoring them. In-and-Out is a burger palace of the information age.

Actually one of the best examples of their attitude towards communication are the legendary "secret menu items" at In-and-Out. With no traditional marketing to support it, this is probably the best known aspect of In-and-Out and aside from their general high level of quality is probably what they are best known for.

And the levels of secrecy increase (as does my fascination) the more you learn. In every listing or article about the secret menu items, no one ever mentions my personal favorite item, the flying Dutchman. Order one next time you are there, in my opinion it's way better that the wish burger or the Neapolitan shake.

No comments: