10.22.2008

AFI FEST short film competition


As I tweeted earlier, the most fun part of my job is probably building the short film programs. It's like making a movie mix tape! So this year we have grouped them a little more thematically than we have in the past. In one program we have the majority of the Documentary shorts together. A few other doc shorts leaked out into other programs but I think these films sit together quite nicely.

We have also grouped together a bunch of our animated shorts again this year. One of my favorite things growing up was a Saturday morning cartoon, and I eventually went on to study animation in school so this is a subject close to my heart. However I don’t want to give the impression that these "cartoons' were meant as fun for the whole family. They do have some frank sexual content in them and besides I think they would just be more interesting to adults that to children anyway. So we've called it the Adults only Cartoon show. We should have programmed it on Saturday morning that would have been clever.

And then we have what is being called the ALT_shorts program. These are the more challenging films in the short competition. (All films in all sections are part of the International Shorts Competition. Fair warning, not all of these films will have linear narrative story telling or other conventions of mainstream filmmaking. But they are stellar examples of artist pushing the medium further and being unafraid to explore their world s more fully with the use of cinema.

Our final two shorts programs are the narrative or dramatic shorts. They are titles, Worldviews and Amuse Bouche. I don't want to give away why they are titled that here, you have to come down to the theater and see for your self!

No comments: