5.05.2008

Not getting my hopes up for HANCOCK


At first glance the upcoming film HANCOCK seems like an obvious fit to me. Will Smith plays a drunken superhero, co starring Jason Bateman? It should be a home run for me, right? But then the more I hear about it the less excited I become. IO9 had some spoilers they posted a while back which really made the film seem unappealing to me. The final nail in the coffin is the fact that Peter Berg is the director of HANCOCK.

I recall listening to a spirited discussion of the film FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS at the Telluride film festival last year which I could not participate in since I had not seen the film. The reason I've not seen any more Berg films is that I saw his first two. After watching VERY BAD THINGS and THE RUNDOWN I never had any desire to see a film by this director again. You can only piss in my eye sockets so many times before I stop coming back for more. Maybe HANCOCK will be the film to lift my Berg ban, we'll see. (I strangely actually kinda like Berg as an actor, so go figure.)

No comments: