5.02.2008

My trip to the Spiral Jetty

I had a transcendent experience at the Rotterdam Film Festival when I saw the film CASTING A GLANCE about the Spiral Jetty. That experience for me began a long journey which ended last weekend with my trip to visit the Jetty in the Great Salt Lake.

It was a 2 1/2 hour trip over rocky unpaved roads and through fields of cattle to reach the Spiral Jetty. When we arrived there were a couple of other people there but the entire place seems very desolate. It's deathly quiet, mostly because very little can live on the shores of a salt lake. Also the lake was very still. As we explored this strange terrain we often stopped to taste the salt foam or various shapes of salt crystals which formed everywhere. At the end of the day our clothes and hands were covered in salt residue. I was happy to finally make it to the jetty, the jetty seemed indifferent to see me. Here is the satellite view of the Spiral Jetty. And here are my photos:

No comments: