3.09.2008

We are living in the future

It is just me or are more and more news stories sounding like something out of comic books? Every week there is some advancement in robotics or teleportation that reminds me of William Gibson's famous quote that "The future is already here, it is just unevenly distributed. (This seemed especially true on my trip to Japan.)

The story this week that made me feel this way is this one from the Daily Mail. Russian scientists are preparing an experiment for this May in which "the energy produced by forcing tiny particles to collide at close to the speed of light could open the door to visitors from the future." That's right, it's a time machine.

I drive a robot car and carry around access to all human knowledge in my pocket, I love living in the future.

2 comments:

nelson said...

Another one that gave me that feeling recently was when I read that scientists had invented a new kind of black that is literally 30x darker than the previous darkest black. I want to see it so bad. The article says it "[gives] those who gaze on it a dizzying sensation of nothingness".

Actually, that reminded me more of that ship in Hitchiker's Guide than Neuromancer. Anyway, they want to use it to invent an invisibility cloak, which is the even crazier part.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/19/AR2008021902617.html?hpid=topnews

sue said...

Life is retarded fun.