3.14.2008

Super 8 projection


This looks to be the perfect gift for the experimental filmmaker in your life. A Japanese site is selling a new hand cranked (!) 8mm projector for 80 bucks. If this had been available when I was in film school I would have snapped it up like there was no tomorrow. The Wired article I heard about this from seems to imply that there isn't anywhere left to buy Super 8 cameras or film but if you live in Los Angeles and have a healthy appetite for experimental film you know this simply isn't true.

In fact, I saw a 8mm feature film at the Rotterdam Film Festival this year. A film called SHADOW OF SAND. This Japanese feature is the story of a young girl who (I think) kills her boyfriend and is then continuing to talk to him and see him. The 8mm gave the film a unique look and style. The overall aesthetic of the film is steeped in Lynchian strangeness. Time moves in loops in places and a strange paranoia pervades the dialogue. I loved most of the Japanese stuff i saw in Rotterdam.

Anyway, cool projector.

No comments: