3.04.2008

Romero's Diary


I'm catching up on posting about some films from my big trip last month. First off I'd like to talk about the new George A. Romero film DIARY OF THE DEAD which played at Sundance before playing in Rotterdam where I saw it. These are two festivals I have great respect for and I'm a huge zombie film fan so this should be an easy one right? Not so much.

I’m really confused why such artistically minded, highly regarded festivals are embracing this latest mess of a zombie movie. (And why Scott Foundas, a critic who I usually agree with would write this positive review.) There are some fun gross out gags here and there but overall this Blair Witch gimmick meets zombie outbreak contains not a single original idea, believable performance or decent line of dialogue. A complete mess, still I had to check it out for myself. Romero was inspirational with his first film but that was forty years ago, and seeing him grasp for that continued relevance with ham fisted racial references in this low budget fiasco is just humiliating.

No comments: