3.07.2008

Nobody cares but me


As I mentioned here before, I'm very apprehensive about the upcoming film adaptation of the (greatest modern) comic book Watchmen. It's sort of a lose/lose scenario. If the movie sucks, then people ask me, "what is a good comic book" and I say, "Watchmen" the response will be: "I saw that movie it sucks." Then I hang my head and sigh. Alternatively if the movie is great then people will be like, "hey that movie was great, no need to read it now!"

The fact that it is a book that you hold in your hands and read is part of what makes Watchmen a magical creation. So some more production stills emerged this week and... I'm still apprehensive. At least it looks like it might be a good movie, but still in my heart Watchmen is a book. The film looks to abandon the incredible coloring work done by John Higgins and embrace a gritty/glossy cinematic style.

That being said, there is the 14year old kid inside me who would endlessly discuss with my little brother dream casting for our favorite comic books. The X-Men movie being the rare example of my childhood dreams coming true. So I'm torn, and I will no doubt be attending Comic Con this year mostly for the Watchmen.

The title of this rant is a quote from Watchmen:
Rorschach's Journal: A Comedian died last night, and nobody cares. Nobody Cares but Me.

No comments: