1.09.2008

SECRET SUNSHINE is a masterpiece



I finally got a chance to see this film at LACMA this past weekend. I don't want to say too much about what happens in this film because the surprises this story holds give it most of its power. But this is one of the most amazing films I have seen all year.

I'm always quite disappointed if a film comes through AFI FEST without me having seen it. Usually so disappointed that I end up never seeing the film out of spite. I'm glad I decided to let that go and see SECRET SUNSHINE. AFI FEST has a strong history of showcasing amazing Korean films. This film will never have the mainstream success of a JSA or HOST or even a D-WARS (just kidding!)

This might be one of the most profound and brilliant films to come from any corner of the cinematic world in a long time. As an ardent and enthusiastic atheist I love the existentialist message of this film. It is articulated in such a purely cinematic way, showcasing the grammar of cinema brilliantly. From the director's statements I've heard, this is clearly his intention. The entire film is so grounded in the physical world and the base nature of objects in space that the ethereal nature of religion and misguided faith is painted as inconsequntial. Love it.

But that's what I got out of it, what did you think?

No comments: