1.03.2008

P.T. Anderson wins my vote for best film of 2007



Admittedly I have not seen ALL of the big pictures yet, but I'm going to have to agree with the general consensus and call THERE WILL BE BLOOD my favorite film of the year. I already loved Anderson's work before this film (I even remember the joy at doing a deep reading of MAGNOLIA for a freshman college class years ago.) Two reviews can be found here and here which do a good job of celebrating this powerful and haunting film work.

I'm a bit sad that the film didn't get a chance to play at AFI FEST this year, that would have been huge. (And a disclaimer, no films from AFI FEST are eligible for my title of best film of the year since I love them all equally.) I don't understand exactly why we didn't show the film. I was told that it would not be ready in time for our festival. However, it seems to have been screened here in advance of our festival dates. Curious.

No comments: